Wednesday, March 9, 2016

DIY Snowglobes

Since winter is coming to an end, it's the perfect time to buy the wintery supplies needed for this simple DIY.  It is so simple and doesn't require many supplies.  It would be a great snow day project or a day you feel like you want to glitterfy!  This was the picture I was going for and at the end, you can see how mine turned out.
snowglobe
Materials:
Mason Jar or Baby Food Jar
Mini Fake Christmas Trees (available at craft stores)
Spray Paint
Goo Gone (to remove sticky labels)
Hot Glue
Water
Glitter
Instructions:
Peel off wrapper.  If there is stickiness, use Goo Gone according to package instructions.
Spray Paint the lid of the jar a metallic color or any other color you'd like.
Open your jar and squeeze hot glue into the bottom.
Press a tree of your choice onto the glue before it dries.
Wait for it to dry- about a minute or two.
Shake some glitter into the jar and swirl it around.
Fill the jar almost to the top with CLEAN water.
Apply hot glue to the rim of the jar.
Screw on the lid and leave to set.
Shake and watch the glitter swirl around

You can also personalize this DIY by adding different things, not jut trees.  I have seen letters, animals, and little statue type items placed in the jar before.  This DIY is really inexpensive and fun to do with a younger sibling.  I like trying this DIY because of the glitter and it was simple and took less than 5 minutes.  I got the inspiration of this website.  If you have some extra time and are looking for a DIY, try this website.  She has a bunch of ideas that work!
If you do look at the link, you'll see I changed the instructions and left out somethings.  This is because I had no clue what they were!  If your feeling adventurous... go for it! I also simplified the instructions so some of the newer crafters could understand what I was trying to say.
This website also has many video links to making snow globes.  If you're a visual learner like I am, this will be very helpful.  You can't watch these videos at school though, so try them out at home if you want.  And this website has a tutorial that is simple and has lots of pictures.  I sort of combined them all into one easy (I hope) tutorial.
All in all, I think everybody who needs a little Christmas spirit should try this DIY.  I would change somethings that I did.  I could have glued the tree to the inside of the lid- it would have been a lot easier!  I also should have added the glitter AFTER I added the water- it swirls around better.
IMG_3327 This is what mine turned out like.  The water idea doesn't really work- the glitter just stays in place.  It's like a frozen snow globe.  You should add glycerin to the water.  It's available at craft stores.  But, this works in a pinch!
Hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment