Tuesday, March 8, 2016

DIY Cat Ears

arianacatearsAriana Grande with her cat ears!
I think we have all seen celebrities wearing Cat Headbands these days.  Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande seem to be the most popular right now.  Today, I am going to show you how to make your very own pair of ears.  Ever since celebrities first started wear cat ears, the prices have shot up!  Personally, I don't want to spend $10 on a single headband unless its a flower crown.  But they can go for up to $20+ too!  You can get cheaper ones, but I think making them are so much funner!
cat headbandCat Headband
There are two ways you can create your cat headband.  The first one is to use an old headband that you already own.  This is hands-down the easier and quicker route to go!  The second option is to completely make a new headband out of wire.  The longer and harder route in simple terms.  If you choose to make your own headband, you can Google it for the process.  I just couldn't figure it out so... long story short- I'm using an old headband.  I'm warning you... it's going to be hard and frustrating.
The materials needed are...
  • Headband (bought or handmade)
  • Wire (not the thick utility stuff or flimsy floral wire... a nice, thin, durable wire)
  • Pliers (so you don't cut yourself!)
  • Wire Cutters (unless you don't care about dulling your scissor)
  • Spray Paint
  • Well-Ventilated Area
Lets make ourselves some cat ears!
First, you need to get your headband and make sure it fits and is comfortable.  I recommend using a metal or plastic headband that is fairly thin and flexible.  Next, get your wire, wire cutters, and pliers.  I used a thin, black craft wire I found in my Craft Closet.  The wire cutters and pliers were from the garage.  If you don't have pliers, wear a pair of gloves or just be careful- the wire is very sharp!
Cut about a five inch piece of wire per ear.  In total you will need two pieces of wire for ears.  Next, use your pliers to bend the wire into a cat ear shape.  Repeat this step for the other wire.  You want the ears to look identical!  Now, place the wire ears onto the headband and position them as wanted.  The wanted look is for the ears to be about parallel to your ears.
forming
Next, twist the wire around the headband a few times.  Once it is nice and secure, cut the excess as close to the headband as you can get.  This will make sure it doesn't scratch you while you are being a cat.  Your product should look something like this right now...
ears
Now, it's time to do the final step... spray painting!  Honestly, I had never spray-painted alone before because I thought I was awful.  Well, I couldn't wait because my dad was on a trip and my mom isn't the best with that kind of stuff.  So, it was an adventure!  The only black spray paint I could find was for tractor parts so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best!  I used the color Flat Black.  I am so sorry but I have no clue what the brand name is.  Let it dry for about 12-24 hours and make any touch ups you need to!
spraypain
My thoughts on this DIY is it was challenging and frustrating!  It turned out how I thought it would, but I think it would be a lot easier to buy one off of Etsy or Ebay and let someone who's made a lot of them do it.  If I ever want another one, I'm going to buy it and save my self a few hours!  (Just kidding, it only took like 30 minutes!)
I hope you did enjoy this DIY, even though it's not my favorite.  It might be yours though!
Meow!
Hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment