Thursday, March 3, 2016

DIY Lush Fun

fun
Need something fun to try and will actually use?  LUSH is a beauty/bath store sort of like Bath and Body Works based in the U.K.  I have always wanted to go to one but the closest LUSH is in Overland Park.  It's also a bit pricey... $7 for a bath bomb is too much to spend!  So I decided to DIY the LUSH Fun.  LUSH Fun is a moldable soap that can be used as soap, shampoo, bubble bath, and a fun toy.  This DIY is really simple and uses a minimum of two ingredients.  This makes a great gift idea and is really fun to mess around with.  I am not completely the maker of this DIY... I got some inspiration from Youtube.  But, this is my version of LUSH Fun.
Materials Needed:
1/2 TBS Shower Gel or Dish Soap
1 TBS Cornstarch
Spoon
Small Bowl
Place Mat or Wax Paper
Food Coloring (optional)
Essential Oils (optional)
IMG_3359
Directions for a ubbly Experience:
First, in a small bowl, combine 1 TBS Cornstarch and 1/2 TBS Dish Soap or Shower Gel.  There should be no spots of plain cornstarch or dish soap.  The mixture should have a play-dough like consistency.  You should be able to play with the dough without it sticking to your skin.
IMG_3364
Next, if you want a good color, add a few drops of food coloring.  I prefer the liquid type compared to the paste or gel coloring.  At first it will look speckled but just keeping combining the mixture.  If it is too dry... add a bit more shower gel or dish soap.
IMG_3360If you aren't using shower gel and want it to smell ah-maz-ing, just add your favorite essential oils.  These can be found at any craft store and probably Walmart, Dillions, or Target too!  My favorites are vanilla, jasmine, and lavender.  All of them have like a medical/helping reason such as lavender.  It can help calm you down and even put you to sleep.   After all the food coloring is added in and the essential oils, take the mixture out and put it in your palm.
Begin to kneed and roll the mixture in your hands.  Form it into a ball and flatten it onto the mat or wax paper into a disk.  If you want you can form it into other shapes, but I just did a disk because that's how LUSH's look.
Finally, let the disk dry for about ten minutes.  If you wait too long it will dry out and get all crumbly.  The mixture should still be moldable at the end.  You can store them in a plastic bag or air-tight container.
IMG_3374
To create the bubbles, rub the Fun like it's soap underneath running, warm water.  A small piece goes a long way!  When I tried this, it didn't leave any color rub-off on anything.  It did tint the water though.  This is what the bubbles started out as.
IMG_3376
All in all I think this was a great DIY project and I could customize it as much as I wanted to.  In the end, I made 9 different ones, one with dish soap and eight different kinds with Bath and Body Works Shower Gel.  In case you are wondering what scents I used... I used Mad about You, Velvet Sugar, Wild Madagascar Vanilla, Winter Candy Apple, Vanilla Bean Noel, Amber Blush, Oahu Coconut Sunset, and Warm Vanilla Sugar.  My dish soap was by Dawn in the Original Clean scent.  I can't wait to use them all and make more!
Hearts!

No comments:

Post a Comment