Thursday, May 5, 2016

DIY Color Block Flower Pots

I needed a break from hard and time consuming DIYs this week, so I decided to go easy with a painted flower pot.  I recently bought like six plants from a Mennonite Relief Sale and needed someplace to plant them.  All it took was a trip to Walmart, the outdoor decor room in our barn, and some time.  I know a lot of people who do a lot of gardening and landscape design who would love to try out one of theses pots.  It's a pretty easy process so let's go!
You will need spray paint (I use Rust- Olyeum 2x Coverage), terra-cotta pots, masking tape, cardboard/trash bag, a well ventilated space or the outdoors,  inspiration of planting pots, plants, and soil.  I totally recommend the Rust- Olyeum 2x Coverage spray paint because you literally can use it on any surface including plastic!  There is a large selection of colors and finishes.  My personal favorites are the gloss and satin finishes.  For the inspiration, I just went on Pinterest, Tumblr, and WeHeartIt and looked for "Painted Flower Pots Color Block"  I got a ton of results and just put a little twist on them.  This was one picture I looked at.  I liked how there was the natural color but still had a pop of bright Summeriness.
Color Blocker on Terracota pots:
Now, to actually make the color block pots.  First, take your masking tape and tape a design.  Whatever is under the tape will be the natural terra-cotta color.  The rest will be bright and cheerful!  As you can see, I chose to use several different colors and different patterns to give the pots some creativity.  One pot I did spray paint entirely, but it kept sticking to the feed bag I used to protect the floor.  Next comes the waiting.  It takes about 12-24 hours, but is well worth the wait.  Finally you can peel the tape off and make any touch-ups if necessary.
Wait!  We almost forgot about the plants!  Place the tiny (or big) plant inside and support it so it doesn't fall over.  Next, fill in any gaps with potting soil and lightly pack it down.  Finally, water it and wait for it to grow!  Soon, you will be on your way to an adorable pot with a gorgeous plant living inside!
I think this is a very easy DIY that anybody could do if they just tried.  It only took me about 30 minutes other than waiting for the paint to dry.  I hope you liked this tutorial and try it out.  It makes any boring pot look super cute, Instagram and Tumblr worthy, and is really summery!  My pots didn't really turn out the best though.  I would definitely try painter's tape so the spray paint doesn't soak through.  They should look like this though!


color
Hearts, Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment